Saturday, April 19, 2008

so here we are...

It's Sunday morning, 'bout 6 am. The jet lag is still bugging me a bit, but it's getting better. We literally lost an entire day in transit and time zone shifts, which is kind of strange and disorienting. I keep waking up at 4 am ready to start my day, but realize I have to wait 4 or 5 hours before any shops or restaurants open.
To start out, Devin and I got a room at a youth hostel in the center of Taipei. It's loud. All the time. We're right on the corner of 2 really busy streets, one of which also has a freeway up above it. But we're close to the central station, lots of shops and restaurants, and it's as cheap as can be. Cheap=dingy and dirty, but family run.
The travel/moving gods have been looking after us though. We may have already found an awesome apartment (conditions being that we are provided with essential appliances for the place) that is very reasonably priced, roomy enough for 2, and in a beautiful complex complete with a gym, dance studio, small movie theater and an outdoor pool that overlooks the hills south of Taipei City.
Taipei as a whole is a pretty awesome city. There is a lot to do and see. It's super modern and cosmopolitan, but has a touch of the traditional as well. There are tons of shopping areas and outdoor food markets. It's actually overwhelming how much one can shop here. There are districts that have concentrated shopping areas, which we have already realized must be avoided on the weekends at all costs. The people are laid back and really kind. It seems like the Taiwanese aren't really phased by foreigners. We don't get stares, there isn't a constant feeling that people are trying to exploit us (something I'm used to from India). I need to learn how to let my guard down a little, but at the same time I'm glad that I'm not a naive pushover when it comes to people who may be trying to rip me off.
The food we've had has been awesome, of course. There has only been one misreading of the menu so far that provided us with a bowl of pig gut soup, which was something I was sooo not ready for. Otherwise it's been great.
If you want to check out my photos, click here. I'll keep adding to it as we experience more awesomeness.

1 comment:

Kapuanani said...

Hey there! I'm so glad you two may have found a place to hang your hats. Sounds like the perfect place. That video of the scooters is so familiar - but in Vietnam, they weren't as nice and new. Mmmmm...pig gut stew! MISS YOU guys. Portland is...the same.