Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Rain

The rainy season has started. This means incredible storms every afternoon. Today the lightning was right above our building, which was kind of terrifying. I'm not used to seeing the flash of light and hearing the deafening crash of thunder at the same time. It's a little disorienting. Devin and I both learned really quickly that we can't go anywhere without umbrellas. We have both been caught in downpours and have had to walk home in flashflood rains.
Otherwise, we've both been in a bit of a funk. Not that we're sad at all, but we still don't know that many people, and we've both quickly realized that our work contracts are not all we imagined them to be, which has been pretty frustrating. I'm considered a 'full time' teacher, but have only been given 7 working hours per week. Because I'm full time, it may be problematic to add a second job, as I'm contractually obligated to prioritize our first, visa-sponsoring employer. Boy I wish I would have known that before signing. I have a second offer, and I could start teaching the day after tomorrow, so I hope that I'm not punished when I break the news....
We did go to a tango night over the weekend, which was put on by my friend Che. Neither of us danced, but we had the opportunity to meet some more locals, who all happened to be awesome. But we're still short on the friends, which makes our weekends pretty uneventful. We're working on it, but it seems to be a slow process.

2 comments:

Claire said...

Yeah,
that's the hardest thing finding out the underside of things-the reality time. Reminds me of when we first moved to the NW. Now we are far from lonely...

But you guys are doing so well. Your apt. is so handsome and you are both so sleek and smart yourselves (: Hang in there, and you will make friends.

Be good to each other, too. The rain can get to you. It can magnify little irritations. At least it does for me, sometimes.
Sending love and prayers your way...

statty girl said...

I know exactly how you feel. It's my first weekend in Tampa and I went to see the Sex and the City movie solo. I'm so used to going to things by myself that I didn't even think it would be a big deal - until I went inside the theater and it's full of groups of girlfriends all dressed to the nines, chirping and laughing together. I felt pretty lonely, but I keep reminding myself that I just moved here, I'm not expected to have any friends! So sit tight, you're doing all the right things, I'm confident you'll find your niche soon enough.

And on the bright side, at least you have each other!

xo